Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Behind the Booth: Part Four - Succeeding at Craft Shows

Color Matters!
Okay, so you've come up with your brand, printed your business cards, made your inventory, paid your fee for the booth, brought in your tables, set up - now, money can roll in, right?  Nope.  

Reality check - most home crafters do not turn a profit their first year.  Of the ones I've talked to, most took three to four years to really feel like their business venture was paying for itself and paying them.  That doesn't mean you won't make money at the show - it just means that most if not all of that money will go back into the business.  I'm not saying this to try to discourage you - quite the opposite!  I  just don't want you to give up if you don't have a banner year your first time out.

I'm going to help you with as many tricks and tips as I can come up with for how to succeed at the show once you've gotten set up.  I have a few simple things I do that seem to get me great sales.
  • There are phrases at the craft show that we all dread hearing after awhile.  "That's so cute/pretty/detailed/lovely/intricate/gorgeous!"  90% of the time someone uttering this phrase or one like it is not planning on buying.  In fact, most complimenters aren't going to buy - that's why they are paying you a compliment.  They like your work, and want to acknowledge it.  Don't despair!  Strike up a conversation.    "What do you like about it, specifically?  Which piece is your favorite?  Is there one that speaks to you more than the others?  If it was in a different color/pattern would it appeal to you more?  Would you like to commission a custom piece?"  Try to work them around to a purchase - I've had more people who wanted something but were afraid to ask if I'd do a special order for them. 
  • Always dress well, business causal is a good rule of thumb for indoor events.  If you're doing an outdoor event, dress like you are hosting a garden party/bbq.  For your neighbors.   Doing so makes you look prepared, ready for sales.  
  • Stand as much as possible.  People are more likely to talk to you and buy if you're standing.  I don't know why psychologically this is, but if you're standing you'll make more sales.  Especially if you're working your booth.  By "working your booth" I mean rearranging, refilling, organizing, cleaning, checking tags, refilling business cards, or other small actions in the booth.  
  • If you do need to sit - or just want to sit - bring some of your work that's portable.  I often have a large basket of elephants that just need their bellies stitched up - I finish them at the show because they are easily portable, and don't take much time to do.  Be aware of your surroundings, though!  If you can't work and chat with people, then chat with people instead.  
  • Instead of inviting a friend to come sit all day with you, invite them to come at regular times - or set up a schedule - so you can eat/run to the restroom/shop the rest of the show.  You will be less prone to miss sales due to over-chatting.  No one wants to interrupt you and your friend chatting about this and that.
  • Fill your booth, but don't clutter it!  I know, this seems like contrary advice.  But really, use that booth space - if someone can take in your whole booth without stopping, they will.  If you can lay it out so there are hidden treasures, you'll do better. I know I've posted this photo before, a couple of times, but it's worth showing again.  This is a booth I shared with my sister-in-law.  She makes soaps!  Notice our tables are nice and full, but most things are organized into baskets.  I've tucked some stuffed animals into key places to fill space and make it look more full, and we've added some risers for height and accent.  While you can't really see my ladder shelves too much (they are peeking in on the left) you can get the impression that we have product at multiple heights, with lots of color.

  • Think about how a department store organizes its displays.  Usually they have one big display, with everything you need to recreate that image on nearby shelves neatly organized.  I try to do a similar thing with my displays, showing off one or two things very prominently and then stuffing my shelving with the rest of those items.  
  • When a potential customer says "I'll be back." They don't mean it.  Don't get your hopes up on potential sales - until you have cash, don't hold anything.  The exception is when someone says "I'll be back, I'm just running to the ATM, can you tuck this behind the table for me?
 I hope these tips help you have a successful time at your first, third, or three hundredth craft show.  Look forward to my next post, Behind the Booth: Part Five - The Checklist.  All those things that I pack along (besides my inventory) and why I pack them.  Have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment